Contact US Today for Free Quote!
Spring is a census-designated place (CDP) within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of Houston in Harris County, Texas, United States, part of the Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area. The population was 54,298 at the 2010 census. While the name “Spring” is popularly applied to a large area of northern Harris County and a smaller area of southern Montgomery County, the original town of Spring, now known as Old Town Spring, is located at the intersection of Spring-Cypress and Hardy roads and encompasses a relatively small area of perhaps 1 km2.
The large geographic area now known as Spring was originally inhabited by the Orcoquiza Native Americans. In 1836, the Texas General Council of the Provisional Government placed what is now the town of Spring in the Harrisburg municipality. In 1838, William Pierpont placed a trading post on Spring Creek. In 1840, the town of Spring had 153 residents. By the mid-1840s, many German immigrants, including Gus Bayer and Carl Wunsche, moved to the area and began farming. People from Louisiana and other parts of the post-Civil War Southern U.S. settled in Spring. The main cash crops in Spring were sugar cane and cotton; area residents also grew vegetables.
In 1871, the International and Great Northern Railroad, built through Spring, opened, which caused Spring to expand. In 1873, Spring received a post office. By 1884, Spring had 150 residents, two steam saw and grist mills, two cotton gins, three churches, and several schools. In 1901–1903, the International-Great Northern Railroad opened, connecting Spring to Fort Worth. Spring, now with a roundhouse, became a switchyard with 200 rail workers and fourteen trackyards. The population increased to 1,200 by 1910. The Spring State Bank opened in 1912. In 1923, the roundhouse relocated to Houston, causing Spring to enter a decline; by 1931, Spring had 300 people. The bank was robbed several times in the 1930s; it was stated that Bonnie and Clyde robbed the bank once. The bank consolidated with Tomball Bank in 1935.
By 1947, Spring had 700 residents. In the 1970s, Houston’s suburbs began to expand to the north, and more subdivisions and residential areas opened in the Spring area. Some older houses in the town of Spring received restorations and housed shops. The Old Town Spring Association opened in 1980 to promote the Old Town Spring shopping area, which consists of the restored houses. In 1984 and 1989, the Spring area had 15,000 residents. By 1989, Old Town Spring became a tourist area. In 1990, the Spring area had 33,111 residents.
From 1969 to 1992, the Goodyear airship America was based in Spring from its large hangar visible just off Interstate 45. Takeoffs and landings were a major attraction and motorists continually pulled off to the interstate’s shoulders to watch. In 1992 the America was moved to Akron, Ohio, and the massive hangar was eventually torn down. In 2016, the hangar’s concrete foundation was still visible at the intersection of Holzwarth Road and Meadow Edge Lane west of Lowe’s Home Improvement Center.
The 1992 Log Cabin Republicans convention was held in Spring.
Harris County Precinct 4 operates parks in the Spring CDP. Southwell Park, a 5-acre (2.0 ha) facility located at 27419 Nelson Street, includes the B.F. Clark Community Building, a picnic pavilion with tables and a barbecue pit, one lighted basketball pavilion, barbecue grills, toilets, and two playgrounds: one for children aged 2 through 5 and one for those aged 5 through 12. Bayer Park, a 30-acre (12 ha) facility at 24811 West Hardy Road, includes four lighted softball fields, seven lighted baseball fields, and toilets. Pundt Park is a 380-acre (150 ha) park at 4129 Spring Creek Drive that was being developed as of 2008. The park was to have a canoe launch, a pavilion facility with a meeting room and toilets, a playground facility, picnic areas, and a trail system connecting Bayer Park to the Spring Creek Greenway. Predinct 4 also operates the Mercer Arboretum and Botanic Gardens, south of and adjacent to the Spring CDP at 22306 Aldine Westfield Road. The facility includes the Baldwin Boettcher Branch Library, an endangered species garden with a beaver pond, a canoe launch, picnic areas, a playground for children aged 6 through 12, a tea house, a trail, and a visitor center.
The Cypresswood Golf club is located at 21602 Cypresswood Drive in the CDP. The club leases the land from Harris County and maintains the facilities.